he preparation of this mix was wonderful as the scent of the roasted spices was extremely fragrant! The suggested quantity is perfect, as we all prefer fresh roasted flavorful spices. I simply pulverized the spices with a mortar, that’s simply and easy.
This mix is delicious over potatoes, as addition to spreads (as baba ganoush) and I imagine that this would be great rub for chicken as well.
I had fun in preparing the spice for my photo; I used a wooden zebra as we can find this animal in this Country.
- 2 tsp whole cumin seeds, roasted
- 4 whole cloves, roasted
- 3/4 tsp black cardamom seeds, roasted
- 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns, roasted
- 2 pinch whole allspice, roasted
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds, roasted
- 1/2 tsp whole coriander seeds, roasted
- 3 small dried red chilies, roasted
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger, I used ground dried ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 Tbsp sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
Source and recipe description: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/sauce-spread/sauce-spread-seasoning-mix/berbere-north-african-spice-mix.html By Annacia