Tom Kah Kai is one of our favorite soups and we really have this several times per year.
The recipe I reviewed is a light version, posted by Linky, in which most of the ingredients are dry and for this reason it is almost a ready made version.
For my recipes with fresh herbs I keep the herbs in the freezer, but if they are not available, you will be more than happy with this recipe which makes the almost impossible to possible.
For this recipe I replaced the ground kaffir lime leaf by one lime peel in the soup and discarding it before serving. I used a small tin canned mushrooms, for the broth I used “normal” broth where added 3 very thin slices ginger.
Suggestion: place lemon grass in an empty tea bag while cooking for easy removing.
- 1 quart thai ginger infused broth, I used normal broth but I added 3 thin slices ginger
- 1/2 cup red pepper, cut in matchsticks
- 1/2 cup mushroom, sliced thinly, I used canned ones
- 1/2 cup green onion, cut diagonally
- 1/4 teaspoon ground kaffir lime leaf, replaced by the lime peel which I removed before serving
- 1/4 teaspoon ground galangal
- 1/4 teaspoon dried lemon grass, can be placed in a paper tea bag for easy removing
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, I used fresh
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 chicken breast, cut in strips
- 1 (14 ounce) cans light coconut milk
Source and recipe description: http://www.food.com/recipe/tom-kha-kai-point-2-518983 By Linky