This spice blend has not to be missed! Roasting the spices (only the seed) in advance makes them more fragrant and this mixture makes then your dishes wonderful!
I will use this for many dishes, not only for the Ethiopian ones!
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 cup ground dried new mexico chiles
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp smokey cumin seeds (or ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 whole allspice berries
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
Source and recipe description: https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/sauce-spread/seasoning-mix/berbere-spice-mix.html By Baby Kato @BabyKato
he preparation of this mix was wonderful as the scent of the roasted spices was extremely fragrant! The suggested quantity is perfect, as we all prefer fresh roasted flavorful spices. I simply pulverized the spices with a mortar, that’s simply and easy.
This mix is delicious over potatoes, as addition to spreads (as baba ganoush) and I imagine that this would be great rub for chicken as well.
I had fun in preparing the spice for my photo; I used a wooden zebra as we can find this animal in this Country.
- 2 tsp whole cumin seeds, roasted
- 4 whole cloves, roasted
- 3/4 tsp black cardamom seeds, roasted
- 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns, roasted
- 2 pinch whole allspice, roasted
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds, roasted
- 1/2 tsp whole coriander seeds, roasted
- 3 small dried red chilies, roasted
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger, I used ground dried ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 Tbsp sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
Source and recipe description: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/sauce-spread/sauce-spread-seasoning-mix/berbere-north-african-spice-mix.html By Annacia
A simply and super tasty butter that you can prepare with the ingredients you almost always have on hand. I prepared the butter and I placed it in silicon mini muffins molds. Store in the fridge and to remove it from the mold simply place it for about 10 minutes in the freezer before.
Perfect with fish but also over white rice as well as pasta and and…
- 1/2 c (8 tablespoons) softened butter (no subs here, it just wouldn’t be the same)
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest (grate it as finely as possible)
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt (only if using unsalted butter)
Source and recipe description: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/sauce-spread/other-sauce-spread/lemon-garlic-butter.html by
This is very easy to prepare and really good!
It was a long time that I finished my lemon pepper mixture and this came just to replace what I missed. For this recipe I used a mixture of black, white and red pepper as I love this combination and makes the spice mix more attractive and much better than the mixture from the shop as the smell is more “natural”.
- 5 large lemons (well washed and paper towel dried)
- 1/3 c (scant) of crushed pepper corns (black and/or mixed)
- 1/4 c kosher salt (amount and use optional)
Source and recipe description: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/sauce-spread/seasoning-mix/homemade-lemon-pepper-seasoning.html By Annacia *
I prepared this wonderful seasoning for yesterday’s fish fillets and the fish came out very delicious. I tossed the fish first in a mixture of oil, lemon juice and little dijon mustard, then I coated this with the mixture combined it with 1/3 cup breadcrumbs; this was good for 4 fish fillets. I had to make a substitution: celery seed by fennel seed crushed. In order to prepare the quantity I need for the dinner, I scaled down the recipe converting it to metric measures, dividing by 15 and converting it back to US measures (then rounded).
1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried granulated onion
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/3 teaspoon dried granulated lemon peel
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
2/3 teaspoon medium-grind black pepper
Source and recipe description: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/main-course-fish/northwest-seafood-seasoning.html by Annacia
Delicious rob for meat, can be used for vegetable as well
I reduced the recipe to:
- 3/8 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/4 (=2/8) tablespoon allspice
- 1/4 (=2/8) tablespoon allspice, berrie
- 1/8 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/8 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 (=2/8) teaspoon nutmeg
Full recipe and procedure: http://www.food.com/recipe/levantine-pepper-rub-458575 by Mia in Germany