This spice blend has not to be missed! Roasting the spices (only the seed) in advance makes them more fragrant and this mixture makes then your dishes wonderful!
I will use this for many dishes, not only for the Ethiopian ones!
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 cup ground dried new mexico chiles
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp smokey cumin seeds (or ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 whole allspice berries
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
Source and recipe description: https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/sauce-spread/seasoning-mix/berbere-spice-mix.html By Baby Kato @BabyKato
Beets are one of our favorite summer salad! For this recipe I reduced the potatoes to only one small one (about 150 g) as we were only 3 persons. The mustard seeds make this dish special and I loved the lemon (instead of vinegar) for this recipe.
I did not dice the onions, I simply sliced them and I placed them about 1 hr in cold water to make them milder (I knew mines were to strong).
I topped them with parsley to serve.
- 150 g yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- 500 g red beets
- 1/4 c fresh lemon or lime juice
- 2 Tbsp peanut oil (or olive oil)
- 1/2 medium onion (yellow or red), sliced and placed in cold water to make it milder
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely diced (optional)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt, to taste
- 1/4 tsp yellow mustard seeds (mustard preparation with whole seed would work as well)
- 1 pinch fenugreek powder (optional)
- chopped parsley to serve
Source: https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/potatoes/ethiopian-beet-potato-salad By Lori Loucas @jostlori
This recipes is very similar to a curry and the rich sauce comes perfect with the Ethiopian bread Injera. I’ve prepared the Berebere spice mix in advance and I discovered how delicious its this with chicken! For serving I’ve topped the dish with some fresh chives and a pinch Berbere spice mix.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp ghee
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp berbere (or to your liking)
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 c water
- ground black pepper
Source and recipe description: https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/chicken/chicken-stew-ethiopian-style.html?r=12%F0%9F%98%98 By Daily Inspiration S @DailyInspiration