Lovely Turkish gratin with mint, this made a complete dinner yesterday! I love börek/boureki and this version includes a lot of ingredients, but it is really easy to be prepared and the result is wonderful even without phyllo pastry!
The mint is very important and the topping (especially the pine nuts) give to the gratin a great look, nice flavor and wonderful texture.
I’ve reduced the quantities of the egg mixture from 6 to 4 as well spelt flour from 3/4 cups to 1/2 cup.
- 1 large onion, sweet
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind
- 500g zucchini, grated, excess moisture removed
- 225g haloumi, shredded
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 125g (3/4 cup) spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
Source and recipe description: https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/side-casserole/zucchini-and-cheese-bake.html By Baby Kato @BabyKato